Study Tips From A Procrastinator

Do you procrastinate? Me too.


     Although your teacher (or boss) gave you this assignment weeks ago it seemed to have slipped out of mind...until of course yesterday when you realized that it was due in three days! There is an overwhelming amount of work on your desk, stacked in a wobbly pile as tall as the Eiffel Tower. You plop down on your desk chair and blankly stare at it, unsure what to do, where to start. You helplessly let your heavy head hit the edge of your desk, wishing that you could just go to sleep and forget about it all. With your deadline looming along the edges of your consciousness, you must trudge on, or die trying, but you wish you could let your lids fall and upon opening them, find that it was all dream...



     We all have experienced some version of that. But it doesn't have to be that way. I confess that it is easier said then done, especially if you are already in the habit of pushing things off. I have been about the uneasy business of rearranging my habits into more productive and efficient practises.

     Here are a few practical things that have not only helped me build a healthier work life, but have greatly assisted me in getting through those last minute school marathons.

  1. Prioritized Lists

     I used to create these massive lists of every thing I wanted to get done that day. I have discovered that, as you might imagine, they were almost impossible to finish. Plus, it was also distracting seeing 'Practice piano' next to 'Do math', which one do you think I was more likely to do first? I will tell you that it wasn't math.
     When I started to make short list of the things I had to finish and long lists of what I wanted to get done, I learned that its much more encouraging because I usually get the satisfaction of finishing at least one list a day. Also cutting out all of the little alluring list items released an excessive measure of temptation. 
Pro Tip: Find a habit tracker or list app, they will help remind and reward you for completing tasks! I love them dearly. 


    2. Instrumental Music


    Another thing that has improved my productivity is listening to instrumentals while I work. There are many hours long instrumentals on YouTube in a variety of musical styles. My favorite is piano. It helps me keep focus. I (embarrassingly) love Disney piano playlists. I'll put one of my favorites below.
Pro Tip: Once you find one you like, only listen to it while doing work. It will get you into the work zone.
    

     3. Reward Yourself After

     
     It is so tempting to take multiple mini breaks during a school or work grind. We want to check social media, respond to text, and watch YouTube videos. We think it will assist us in not going brain dead but in actuality it is only lengthens the time we send working, dragging the process into taking much more time then it needs to. If you decide on reward before you start, then you will have motivation to finish.
Pro Tip: Remember self control is a fruit of the spirit, if you are having trouble exercising it then pray that the Lord will help you through it.

     4. Start with Prayer


     God sees you where you are, He knows your stress level and He wants to help. Ask Him for focus, peace, wisdom, self control, or anything else you may need. He is always there, wanting you to succeed. Sometimes its easy to get carried away with life's abundant stress, rush, and grind, we pour energy into work, school, or even hobbies. We forget to set aside time for prayer and worship, I'd encourage you to remember that God is the number one priority, He is the top of the list, He is more comforting then the most beautiful songs, and He is the greatest reward of all. Perhaps this should have been number one, but I want this to be the last lingering point, I want it to stay with you like a delicious after taste.


I hoped this was a help! Let me know in the comments what is your best study tip.

Comments

  1. Great idea. Like your choice of instrumental music here. Everyone loves Disney, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idk... the only Disney movies I ever really enjoyed were mostly Pixar.

      Delete
  2. Really? That’s sad. Disney is the bomb! But I will credit Pixar to Disney because they own it. What Disney/Pixar movies do you like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take pretty much all of Pixar minus the Good Dinosaur and Inside Out

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts