The Storyteller and the Genie

The Storyteller and the Genie

By Chloe Schultz


     Once upon a different time, in a different land, in a different world, there was a special storyteller. A blind storyteller, who would sit all day under a makeshift shelter at the edge of a market. 
      The old storyteller, in the cool of her shelter, sat silently waiting for a person who needed to hear a story. Whether true or false, the sun charred woman would spin just the tale the listener needed to hear. 
     One day a weary mother arrived at the shelter, which edged the market. With tired lines streaking her face she sat down next to the ancient storyteller. 
     "Do you need a story or do you only wish for a story?" The storyteller asked in a rough but kind voice.
     "I don't know," said the young woman who was a mother, "I only want an escape from life. I was hoping a tale could give me that."
     "What, dear child are you hoping to escape from?" 
     "Life is too much for me!" cried the mother desperately. "I have too many people who count on me. The presser is tremendous! I wish it would disappear! I am hoping that a good story will draw my attention for at least a little while," finished the young woman. 
     The storyteller sighed deeply. Then she reached out her hands searching for the young woman's face. When she found it, the storyteller felt the harsh lines that only sleepless nights and countless days of service can do to a lovely face. 
     Then the storyteller began to weave a story...
     Once upon a different time, in a different land, in a different world, there lived a small girl who was blessed by God with all the powers of a genie. Her name was Joy.
     Unlike the genies who reside traditional stories, Joy did not live in a lamp. Instead she simply appeared to anyone who needed her, granting life changing wishes. Constantly, she granted wishes such as "I wish my son was healed", "I wish we would have food to eat", "I wish I could see". And Joy would constantly witness the smiles and thankful tears when people found out that God was taking care of them.
    Because of all those beautiful smiles, Joy was content for a many years. Unfortunately, she began to tire of giving wishes.  The smiles she once cherished began to lose preciousness in her eyes. "How exhausting this is!" Joy complained. She soured herself toward the tearful smiles she bestowed. No longer grateful for all the opportunity to be good to others, she thought only of what no one was doing for her. 
     One evening, Joy appeared to a homeless man who was needing some food. 
     "Thank the God above!" He praised, "For He alone has rescued me!"
     "I suppose you need food" Joy interrupted.
     "Yes." Replied the homeless man, "But do not give it to me just yet, for I need to be completely sure of what I should wish for." 
     Joy sighed and sat upon the dirty road where the man lived. 
     "Why so sad, blessed one?" 
     Joy glanced up at him then back at her feet. "I am tired of being a genie! All I do, day and night, is serve. And what do I get in return? Nothing."
     "That is not true." The homeless man contradicted. "You get to help people day and night. That is a true reward."
     "If you say so." Mumbled Joy. 
     "It is really a privilege to do what you do. And if you can't see it then I will take you out of you misery."
     Joy stared at him confused.
     "I wish I could take your place as a genie."
     That was all. He disappeared. Joy was left alone.
       Joy now had no power at all. She was numb at first because of her shock. But realization had plenty of time to soak in, for after that her life was dreadfully normal. Every day and night, Joy sat in a small rickety tent at the edge of a market place, telling stories and begging for food. 
      The elderly storyteller ended her story there.
     "Well, was Joy finally happy?" The girl appeared distressed at the ending of story.
     "Well she did receive what she wanted most. She lived for herself." Stated the teller of stories. "I believe she did miss serving others, regretted losing her outlet to help and the happiness it once gave her. Don't ever lose the joy and contentment the littlest smile can bring; don't ever harden your heart against a tears; don't ever ignore what a good laugh can bring; because you may look back at little every day moments such as those and remember them as huge monumental moments you missed."
    Silently the mother hugged the storyteller and left.

Comments

Popular Posts